Adding a gate to the front of your property is about more than mere aesthetics — believe it or not, simply adding a gate can boost your home’s value by as much as $50,000 or more. How is this possible? Why are gated entrances such a selling factor? A gated entrance boosts a home’s value in many ways, enhancing its overall curb appeal and adding an undeniable air of luxury. That’s why, for homeowners or real estate agents who want to maximize their value when it’s time to sell, adding a gate is a smart choice.
Wondering if adding a gated entrance is right for your home? To help you decide, here’s a closer look at some of the specific ways a gate can enhance your home’s appeal:
1. Greater curb appeal. You only get one chance to make a first impression, which is why curb appeal is so important. Anyone who pulls up to your home will immediately form an opinion about your property, usually in those first few seconds after arrival. What they’ll notice is an overall sense of style and quality created by the combination of factors like landscaping, property maintenance and so on. You can greatly enrich your curb appeal with a gated entrance. Thanks to its eye-catching, commanding nature, a gated entrance becomes the first thing new visitors see. When chosen to complement your home’s architecture and overall property design, it can also be a wonderful finishing touch to your exterior appeal.
2. Increased property security. Enclose your property with fencing and a gate, and you immediately create a physical deterrent to unauthorized visitors. This means before someone — solicitors, political campaigners, marketers or other uninvited individuals — can walk on your driveway or approach your front door, he or she must get past the gate. Likewise, a gated entry communicates an investment in security that many guests will assume extends to more security measures inside. This sense of enhanced security further adds value in the minds of potential buyers, who recognize the protection a gated entrance provides.
3. A prestigious feel. It’s hard to put a price on the luxury feel a gated entrance gives your home. Because it’s a high-end feature typically afforded only to high-priced homes, a gated entrance tends to communicate an upscale feel. This likewise adds a sense of value to your home, bumping it into the ranks of estates and luxury properties.
4. Protection for kids and pets. Just as important as keeping unauthorized visitors out is keeping your pets and little ones in. A gated entrance helps you do just that: It keeps your children and pets from accidentally running into the street or being approached by strangers, by creating a barrier from the world outside your property.
5. More privacy. Whether you already live in the country or are in the middle of a hectic city, adding a property fence with an entry gate is an excellent way to increase your home’s privacy. Enjoy time on your lawn without worrying about everybody watching. Step outside without having to talk to the neighbor who’s walking by. To give yourself greater privacy at home, a gated entrance is an excellent choice.
The combination of the above benefits is what makes a gated entry such a value booster to homes. That’s why, whether you’re looking to sell in the near future or many years later, adding one to your residence is a step in the right direction.
If you want your home to reap a greater return on investment and stand out among other properties on the market when you decide to sell, consider a driveway gate! Adding this feature offers a variety of benefits that all add up to greater value and selling power.
Dean White is Owner and Operator of Gate Options, one of the largest gate installation companies in northern Illinois. He has more than 30 years experience in the fence and gate industry.