Print this page

The 2020 Hurricane Season: What To Expect

Posted On Thursday, 23 July 2020 20:53

Even before the 2020 or hurricane season officially started there was already a storm that had formed over the Atlantic. Tropical Storm Arthur surprised the world by arriving early and bringing rain to the southeastern United States. In fact, in the last six years, there have been major storms before the official June 1 start of the hurricane season.

Hurricane seasons are affected by ocean temperatures, and this year they are expected to be much warmer. According to the National Weather Service, there is a 60% chance of this season being above-normal in activity levels, a 30% chance of it being like other seasons, and a 10% chance of being a more calm season than normal, with fewer and less intense hurricanes. 

How Hurricanes Form

The Atlantic hurricane season lasts from June 1 through November 30 due to the temperatures these times of the year. Most of the heat radiated from the sun is absorbed in the world’s oceans, and much more is absorbed around the equator. Water molecules are affected by heat and sublimate into air molecules in a process called evaporation. Higher temperatures mean more evaporation, which means more humidity (water droplets suspended in air), and eventually more rain clouds. 

Ocean currents distribute air around the globe similarly to a conveyor belt, but again, these fluids undergo chemical changes when temperatures change. The reactions of hot air to cold air, high pressure to low pressure, and to mountain ranges and land create the various weather patterns people see and experience. The Earth’s tides and rotation, as well as the oceans’ salinity, also have an effect on surface winds, which can result in thunderstorms or even a deadly hurricane.

Hurricane Categories

Most people have heard stories about catastrophic Category 5 storms such as Andrew (1992) and Katrina (2005). This refers to a storm’s strength according to the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale, which is as follows:

• Category 1: A hurricane with sustained winds of at least 74 mph.
• Category 2: A hurricane with sustained winds between 96 and 110 mph.
• Category 3: A hurricane with sustained winds between 111 to 129 mph. Hurricane Wilma is an example.
• Category 4: A hurricane with sustained winds between 130 to 156 mph.
• Category 5: A hurricane with sustained winds at 157 mph or greater

Protecting Your Home

When preparing for a hurricane, you want to gather important documents and take them with you to shelter:

• Birth certificates for everyone in your household, as well as Social Security cards, passports, marriage/divorce decrees, driver’s licenses, and other personal, official documents
• Mortgage statements and home deeds if you own your home
• A copy of your renter’s insurance and lease
• Car title
• All insurance plans you have including for your car, home (including supplemental insurances, such as flooding insurance), health, and any other plans you pay premiums for

The best time to learn how to make an insurance claim is before a storm, which is why some helpful tips are given below. But if you have already experienced storm damage and need a diligent, established attorney, then that may be the best way to get your claim settled with the insurance company.

• Contact your insurer immediately and ask when an adjuster can arrive, and what procedures they will use to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
• Let your insurer know if you have any downed power lines or flooding. These are emergencies that they will prioritize.
• Take pictures of all damage

Rate this item
(0 votes)