Tuesday, 20 March 2018
Post your listing on Realty Times
This Old House - Do-it-Yourself

Natural Mold Killers

Written by Posted On Wednesday, 08 February 2017 20:58

Removing small mold growths from around your home doesn’t have to mean a trip to the store to purchase chemical heavy cleaners and removers. There are natural mold killers you can make from things you probably have in the house. Remember that a mold growth larger than 10 square feet should be professionally removed to avoid any health issues or to spread of the mold.


White distilled vinegar is something most people have in their kitchen cabinet as it's usually used for cooking. Vinegar is a mild acid. It can kill 82% of mold. You can use vinegar to kill and remove small mold growths. Pour the white distilled vinegar into a spray bottle and mix with water. Spray the mixture directly onto the mold and allow it to sit for a few hours. The mold growth should disintegrate within a few hours, and you can wipe the area down. Dispose of the material you use to clean the area and finish with a disinfectant wipe or spray.

Tea Tree Oil

Tee tree oil is an essential oil that has a large number of benefits and uses. If you have this oil lying around the house, you can use it to kill mold. Combine 2 teaspoons of the oil with 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture on the infected area and let it sit for a while.  The smell of tea tree oil can be a little intense, but it will fade and disappear within a day or two. This oil kills all types of mold, from white mold to Stachybotrys.

Baking Soda

Baking soda is a great option for killing mold in your home. It's inexpensive, safe, and has multiple uses. It also removes moisture, so it will help eliminate moisture in the infected area as well as kill the mold. Mix a quarter of a tablespoon of baking soda into a spray bottle and add water. Shake the mixture well. Spray the baking soda water onto the infected area and scrub away the mold with a scrub brush or sponge. Once you have rinsed the area, dry it and spray it down with the mixture again. This time, leave it to dry to kill any remaining mold spores and prevent them from returning.

These natural cleaners are an efficient and safe way to remove small mold sightings. Mold can be very dangerous for anyone exposed to it. Even if you don't have a mold allergy, you are at risk of health problems if you are exposed to it for long lengths of time.

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Realty Times

From buying and selling advice for consumers to money-making tips for Agents, our content, updated daily, has made Realty Times® a must-read, and see, for anyone involved in Real Estate.