Key Professionals Involved in the Real Estate Transaction

Written by Posted On Wednesday, 29 July 2015 12:47

Knowledgeable, customer-focused professionals are available to answer your title and settlement questions. Throughout the home buying and selling process, you may also encounter the following industry specialists who are able to professionally answer questions in their area of expertise.


A REALTOR is a licensed real estate agent and a member of the National Association of REALTORS. They also belong to their state and local Association of REALTORS. When looking for a REALTOR, the best place to start is by asking friends and neighbors for referrals. Another resource is the Find a REALTOR search feature on the National Association of REALTORS (NAR) website.


A real estate agent is licensed by the state to represent parties in the transfer of property. Every REALTOR is a real estate agent, but not every real estate agent has the professional designation of a REALTOR.


A listing agent or broker forms a legal relationship with the homeowner to sell the property.


A buyer's agent or broker works with the buyer to locate a suitable property and negotiate a successful home purchase.


A home inspector objectively and independently provides a comprehensive analysis of a home's major systems and components.


A loan officer is a representative of a bank or other financial institution. They help customers identify their borrowing options and help them understand the terms of their loan.


An appraiser works on behalf of a lender and provides a market analysis of the subject property. An appraiser's finding is subjective and combined with market findings of sold properties within the surrounding neighborhood.


An insurance agent helps a homebuyer determine the homeowner's protection coverage needed and then finds the right insurance policy to fit those needs.


A real estate attorney can give advice on all legal aspects of the real estate transaction. Additionally, they are able to draft and review contracts, help decide how to take title and assist with the closing process. In some states, real estate closings can only be conducted by attorneys.


An escrow or closing officer is a non-biased third party who works with all participants to facilitate a successful closing of a real estate transaction. At closing, the closing officer will collect the purchase money funds from the buyer and lender as well as the settlement costs from each party. They disburse the funds in accordance with the HUD-1 Settlement Statement and record the necessary documents to transfer ownership of the property.


A closing or title agent performs title searches to ensure a clear title so a title insurance policy can be issued. In some states they are able to facilitate the transfer of real estate.

Want to learn more about our neighborhood? Visit us at or to receive a copy of our Home Buyers Guide click here.


Rate this item
(1 Vote)
William Featherstone

Having the right real estate agent means having someone who is committed to helping you buy or sell your home with the highest level of expertise in your local market. This means also to help you in understanding each step of the buying or selling process. This commitment level has helped Will build a remarkable track record of delivering results. Will sees himself not as a sales person, but as a professional consultant to his clients.

Agent Resource

Limited time offer - 50% off - click here

Realty Times

From buying and selling advice for consumers to money-making tips for Agents, our content, updated daily, has made Realty Times® a must-read, and see, for anyone involved in Real Estate.