Wednesday, 21 February 2018
DroneView Packages
This Old House - Do-it-Yourself

HOA Building Ordinance or Law Insurance

Written by Posted On Wednesday, 02 January 2008 00:00

Insurance policies are written based on the concept of "indemnity" which means "protection or security against damage or loss." Fire insurance policies are not designed to put a policyholder in a better position than he was prior to a loss. Otherwise, having insurance might create an incentive to have a loss.

To prevent a policyholder from unfair compensation whenever a covered loss occurs, most insurance contracts are written so that the insurance carrier's only responsibility is to return the building to the condition it was prior to the loss. This is true even if an older, out-of-code building is damaged. Building code updates are not covered under the standard fire insurance policy.

This is true even if there is a partial loss. Most municipalities require that if 50% or more of the building is damaged, the entire structure must be brought up to current building codes. This could trigger expensive structural upgrades to comply with earthquake, hurricane or energy standards and fire code upgrades ranging from hard wired smoke detectors to fire sprinklers systems. For buildings over fifteen years old, the building code changes are likely to be substantial.

Fortunately, there is an insurance coverage called Building Ordinance or Law which is specifically designed to protect against increased repair costs triggered by building codes or ordinances. The coverage is broken into three components:

  • Demolition Coverage: Covers the cost of demolition of the undamaged portions of the building in order for the entire building to be replaced with one conforming to present building codes.

  • Loss of Value: Covers the costs to rebuild the undamaged portion of the building.

  • Increased Cost of Construction: Covers the increased expenses incurred in replacing the building with one conforming with current building codes.

Some common wall HOAs are located in areas where housing density zone changes have occurred since construction. For example, a piece of property that was zoned for 60 units might only be zoned now for 50 units. While the current building may be grandfathered from such zone changes, it might affect reconstruction in terms of set backs, height restrictions, materials and design requirements.

If your building is fifteen years or older, discuss adding Building Ordinance or Law coverage with your insurance agent.

Rate this item
(0 votes)
Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson owns Regenesis, a management consulting company that specializes in condominium and homeowner associations. He is a nationally recognized expert on HOA management issues.

Regenesis publishes The Regenesis Report, a monthly newsletter for HOA boards, developers and managers. To subscribe, go to He can be contacted by email at

Realty Times

From buying and selling advice for consumers to money-making tips for Agents, our content, updated daily, has made Realty Times® a must-read, and see, for anyone involved in Real Estate.