The prospect of renovating either part of or all of your home can be exciting yet daunting at the same time. If you are planning on doing part or all of the work yourself, these feelings are only intensified, but there are some important aspects that you need to consider for your surrey custom home renovations to be successful, get done in a decent amount of time, and within budget.
The key to a successful home renovation is planning. There will always be little surprises which pop up during the work, but by being prepared and with sensible planning you can reduce the risk of problems and find it easier to deal with them is they do arise.
So if you are thinking about starting a home renovation project, here are some useful tips to help you make it successful:
- Planning Planning Planning – Make a detailed plan of what you are expecting to do and then make a realistic schedule. You might find it useful to ask an expert to look over it afterwards to check that you are on the right track and being realistic about how your project might progress.
- Schedule EVERYTHING – Make sure that you include everything in your schedule – including the time needed for demolition, potential delays in supply deliveries and licenced contractor delays.
- Realistic Pricing – If anything, over-estimate your pricing so that you have enough budget to cover everything. Then add 20% on top of that to cover the unexpected costs which you are almost guaranteed to have.
- Think about the bigger picture – When you are thinking about the design of your room, consider where it fits in with the rest of your home. A super-modern kitchen amongst a rustic cottage might not be a great idea, or vice versa.
- Building Permits – Check before you start whether you need any specific building permits so that you are within the law.
- Use professionals where you need to – There are some things which you can do, and some things which should be left to a professional. If you have plumbing, electrics, or plastering to be done, for example, you should think about splurging out on a professional.
- Quality on the important things – There are some things which you should be thinking about spending a little more on. You will of course be hoping that your room lasts for a few years, so make sure that you buy quality for the important things.
- When hiring a contractor or professional– When you are hiring a contractor don`t just opt for the least expensive person. Get a few quotes, check out what services they are offering you, check their references – or if you can, get some recommendations from people you know, communicate with them exactly what you want and check that they can do this, and then make a decision about who you will hire. Make sure that you get a written contract or signed quote so that everyone is clear about what is expected.
It might seem a lot to think about, especially when you are itching to get started on your renovation work, but by bearing these things in mind and properly planning, you can cut out a lot of headaches and potential problems during the work. Through thorough planning and a cool head, you can ensure that your project runs smoothly and you have a successful renovation.